Friday, February 24, 2012

Pointy Pins.

Okay, let's talk about "Pinterest."

What's that? Well... "Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes."

So it is a way of bookmarking images that you find on the internet, and in an ideal world where everyone is attentive to detail, the image links back to the source. That is what (theoretically) makes it useful to the user, and to anyone else who finds their "pin." (You following this, Mom?)

But no, lots and lots of images posted on Pinterest link to Google. And art and photos are sometimes uncredited, and that sucks for everyone.

There are indeed a whole lot of folks out there who seem to be using Pinterest to plan their weddings, either actually or theoretically...also baby's rooms, and ten-billion do-it-yourself projects that, (sorry) I bet won't all see fruition...Oh, Michelle. So negative. Please keep reading.

When I first heard of Pinterest, from my BFF Jenni, my gut reaction was "potential for copyright infringement." But I discovered that it is all about how you use it, and that we all create our own filters in this world, ...and I decided pretty quickly that I am a big fan of Pinterest.

Why? Primarily because I have been a nerdy visual research archivist since I could first borrow my mom's scissors to cut up her magazines.






I like Pinterest because it is mostly pictures. And I love looking at pictures. Facebook is so much talk, you know? It is sort of quieter, in a good way. I have discovered some good things via Pinterest...blogs to my liking, artists new-to-me, gardening ideas, and yes, a few recipes. I try my darndest to track down the source, so hopefully my "pins" are helpful.

Helpful pins.

Want to see? Want to look at pretty pictures? There is a little red "pinterest" button up there, over there on the right that links to my Pinterest page.

Hope this wasn't too abstract a post. Using the internet to talk about the internet is not my favorite way to pass the time.

Now I'm thinking "coffee" and a change of record album. I'm planning on starting some sourdough bread, the first since I've been back from adventuring. (it took a while to rehabilitate my sourdough starter.) It has stopped raining for the moment, and the sun has come out, but a cold wind is currently blowing in Spruce Pine, North Carolina.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...