Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Space Girl.

Last Saturday was Penland's Halloween party....

Space Girl in Space.
This year I'm in love with my costume, and the related "research" which can be found here.

I think it was on the Imagineering Disney blog that I first ran across images of costumed "characters" in old Tomorrowland at Disneyland. In the 50's and 60's, (so before real astronauts...) these very tall, silver-clad couples would pose for pictures with visitors to Disneyland. If you take a look at my "research," you will see the costumes evolved in time...sometimes Space Girl is sporting a pink-lined cape, often she is without her space helmet...

Source: imagineeringdisney.com
This costume took a lot of thought, but actually not a lot of work. I found the perfect floral-print-synthetic-material-thrift-store dress, cut 11" inches off the bottom, decided that was scandalously short, re-attached about an inch and a half, and spray-painted it silver. As soon as I saw the silver go-go boots on target.com, I knew I couldn't do without them. (and no regrets...although they are not the most comfortable shoes ever, they weren't bad! And pretty well made too.) And yeah, I purchased my space helmet. 'Cause my time available to search for and repurpose plastic domes has been limited lately, and I didn't want it to look clunky, (although it is a bit clunky.) And as craft-school students and staff kept asking me how I made my space helmet, I began feeling a teeny bit guilty of being a sell-out...

Michelle Moode as Space Girl.

I had trouble hearing what people were saying to me, and it was even harder to be heard in the helmet. That suits me fine, as I seldom have much to say at parties. But I could hear the music just fine, and sipped my petite bottle of champagne through a neon green straw.

Where should I wear this next? Dragoncon?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...